Army Service Corps Re-Organisation
PH%252079%25208833.jpg

By kind permission of John King, Author

The New Year [1917] also brought a further change in ASC organisation at Grove Park. Although strenuous endeavours had been made to organise the depot on a sound footing, it had become apparent towards the end of 1916, that it was far too unwieldy to admit of a really efficient control by one officer. After Go. Wright’s death in 1916, the depot was under the command of Major J B Peyton for a brief period. CoI. R 0 Burne subsequently assumed command as a preliminary to his appointment as Assistant Director of Transport which took place in 1916. From 1 January 1917 each of Grove Park’s sub-depots reported direct to the new Assistant Director of Transport whose staff consisted of Major P A Arden as Deputy and who earlier as Adjutant at Grove Park had had a propensity to fold cars round lamp posts, one Warrant Officer and three clerks. The personnel at the sub-depots remained on the strength of No.1 Reserve M.T. Depot.

Back to Grove Park in the First World War


This wiki is still being developed and subject to change. Please bear with us until it is completed. If you have any suggestions for improvements or inclusions please let us know. Click here to contact us

somerights20.gif

by Local History and Archives Centre, Lewisham and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License