By kind permission of John King, Author

By the summer of 1915 the pressure on Grove Park had become so great that it was necessary to put some of the men into billets, although this seems to have been restricted to officers at first. By the time the ASC had also taken over the LGOC bus garage at Camberwell as a reception depot while a sub-depot of Grove Park was formed at Eltham. Nevertheless there were some ‘representations’ about overcrowding. The result was the building of hutments adjacent to Coopers Lane with accommodation for 1200 men. By September Lewisham Council had undertaken to construct a new road between Baring Road and Burnt Ash Hill to service the hutments.

Back to Grove Park in the First World War

This wiki is still being developed and subject to change. Please bear with us until it is completed. If you have any suggestions for improvements or inclusions please let us know. Click here to contact us


by Local History and Archives Centre, Lewisham and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License