By kind permission of John King, Author
It was probably early in 1917 that women started working f or the military at the Grove Park Workhouse. This was as a result of the formation that year of the Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps to enable soldiers to be released for other work. It is interesting that four ‘technical women’ of the Auxiliary Service Corps Motor Transport were to be considered as equivalent to three technical soldiers. Certainly ladies of the ASC and WAAC played their ‘normal’ role when they provided teas at a fete at the Union Castle sports ground in Manor Way, Lee on 4 August, the proceeds going to the St Dunstan’s Hostel for Blinded Soldiers and Sailors.
Another farm became host to the Sunday School Treat when on 20 August the children with their Superintendent Miss Dalton. with Miss Ford and Miss Adams crossed the railway by the footbridge near Three Gables. The farm was Shroffold where Miss Aubrey lent them a field for games. The fields were later to be covered by the LCC Downham Housing Estate.
This wiki is still being developed and subject to change. Please bear with us until it is completed. If you have any suggestions for improvements or inclusions please let us know. Click here to contact us